First Generation Family & Friend Resources
Are you the parent or family member of a first-generation student? Read below for information on how you can support your student as they transition into the University of Georgia.
Click here (PDF) to access UGA's Parent of First Generation Handbook.
Tips for Family and Friends of First-Generation Students
- Learn more about University of Georgia
- Visit the UGA Parents homepage for more information and resources for UGA parents.
- Attend First Year or Transfer Orientation to become knowledgeable about the resources and services available to your student since parent and family support is key to the academic success of college students.
- Remind your students to make copies of all important paperwork and to make sure to write down the name, department, date and comments of the person they are speaking to when they contact different units on campus with questions.
- Learn about the college process and what to expect – by learning about campus resources you will be able to become more familiar with what your student is experiencing. Please visit the Student Resources page for more information about campus resources.
- Be patient with yourselves and one another, especially since this is a learning experience for everyone (both you and your student) – you will all be learning about this transition process together!